Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
Recycling electronic waste like computers and phones is by far one of the most significant things we can do to help our environment.
The Tipit Rubbish Removal team are experienced at dealing with electronic waste. We load any type of electronic waste for recycling and transport it to an accredited “e-waste” recycling site.
Australian’s love the latest gadgets. But they generate more than 140,000 tonnes of electronic waste (e-waste) each year and most of it ends up in landfill. As well as putting more pressure on limited landfill capacity, e-waste can be hazardous as it contains toxic materials.
Tipit Rubbish Removal committed to electronic waste recycling and we will recycle things like redundant computer equipment, TV’s, mobile phones, projectors, scanners, laminators, printers, modems, docking stations, telephone systems, keyboards and monitors. In fact, we will recycle anything that plugs in to a power outlet.
The e-waste collected is diverted from landfill and recycled at an accredited e-waste recycling center. E-waste items sometimes contain precious metals such as copper and platinum that should be reused. Components are stripped, then broken down into commodities and circulated back into the market for new products.
Computer screens and TVs contain toxic chemicals such as lead, mercury and arsenic, which can leach out from landfills and into waterways.
We get asked: What about items that still work?
We recommend to try to find a new home for your unwanted electronic goods first. If your items still work, donate them to non-profit organisations such as Sort Recycling, who refurbish working computers for locally disadvantaged children. You could also try giving items away online through organisations like OzRecycle.
What items can be recycled at e-waste centers?
Below is a list of the items:
- computers – desktops, monitors, laptops and printers
- home and home office equipment – photocopiers, fax machines, scanners, servers, projectors, DVD players and video recorders
- computer peripherals such as joysticks
- electronic games, CDs, DVDs, tapes and cameras
- electronic components
- phones – mobiles and landlines
- small household appliances – vacuum cleaners, microwaves, stereos, and pedestal fans
- power tools – drills, circular saws and power boards, electric lawnmowers, electric trimmers, electric leaf blowers (no gas-powered items).
Items not accepted: